Wednesday, June 15, 2005

art school retard


I really hope that pottery class isn't as freaky as this picture makes it seem. This makes me think of the macrame hangings and crochet owls that my grandma used to make. It also evokes the smell of cigarette smoke, orange shag carpet, red meat, shot glasses, the chicken dance and white tube socks. What's with the coloured hands? Are they supposed to encourage you? That yellow hand looks like it has a thumb growing out of its wrist.

I am going to be optimistic. I am going to try really hard to not try too hard at pottery class. I have a habit of thinking that I am not artistic and/or creative and then overcompensating by trying really hard to evoke those qualities and unintentionally creating absolute drivel. I guess it is still creation...? I get the feeling that creativity should just come to you naturally, flow out of your masterful fingertips with careless ease. You shouldn't have to psych yourself up and force yourself to 'think outside of the box'. If it doesn't come, it doesn't come. However, my art school friend likes to inform me that creativity isn't innate, but is a set of carefully laid out rules or steps, if you will, that, if followed correctly, lead you to the garden of creative energy. I actually find that way more depressing than the idea that I might just not have a creative bone in my body. I like to think that creativity is an energy that some people possess or at least are able to easily tap into, rather than a formula from a manual. Alas, what shall I believe? I dost not knoweth.

No comments: